Check out these back-strengthening Total Gym attachments:
Focusing on your upper back is one great way to burn a lot of calories because there's a lot of muscle mass in that area. The sometimes-impossible pull-up is made easier by simply adjusting the height of the glideboard. Works back, shoulders, and arms.How to:
- Attach the Press-Up Bars or Wing Attachment(s) to the top of the Total Gym.
- Lie down on the glideboard and extend your arms to grab the wing attachment(s).
- Pull your body up to the top of the Total Gym, until your hands are level with your head. Release slowly, making sure to keep the back muscles tight. Repeat.
Total Gym's unique front pullover exercise is a great way to strengthen your back and stretch simultaneously. Shortened muscles can throw the spine out of alignment and cause back pain. Stretching exercises lengthen those muscles and relieve back pain. Works back and shoulders.How to:
- Lie down on the glideboard facing the ceiling. (see above)
- Grasp the handles at the top of the Total Gym.
- Keeping your core tight and arms straight, bring the handles to your thighs.
- Release slowly back to the starting position with straight arms, controlling your descent.
Iron Cross/Snow Angel
Weak muscles are often the reason for back pain, especially lower back pain. With Chuck Norris' favorite exercise, the Iron Cross (also known as Snow Angel for you ladies), you'll easily build muscle in that crucial area that supports your spine. Works back and shoulders.How to:
- Start similar to the Front Pullover exercise above: lying on the glideboard grasping the handles with arms stretched overhead.
- Keeping your core tight and arms straight, bring your arms to your side, mimicking the "snow angel" motion.
- Keeping your arms straight, release to the starting position. Repeat.
Reverse Fly with Rotation
Total Gym's versatility makes working out fun - the reverse fly with rotation is just one example of how you can manipulate a basic exercise and turn it into a whole new exercise. One that will even help you with everyday movements! Works back, chest, shoulders and abs.How to:
- Sit on the glideboard in reverse, facing the Total Gym tower.
- Grasp the handles in front of your body with arms straight.
- Keeping your arms straight, bring one handle to your ear with a slight twist to the final position above.
- Return to the starting position, then repeat for the opposite side.